Class actions are an unwanted distraction and a drain on business resources, but they shouldn’t be. Warner attorneys have an exceptional record in class action litigation, which begins before we even step foot in a courtroom.
Our approach is unique compared to other law firms and it starts with an early analysis of your case. From there, we take a solution-oriented strategy and aggressively pursue a swift resolution. Tactics may include moving for immediate dismissal, striking class allegations right out of the gate or early settlement negotiations. We’ll design a creative, efficient solution specific to your business needs.
- Banking and Finance
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Litigation
Banking and Finance
We provide advisory services to banks including comprehensive defense for class actions involving all manner of lending and deposit issues. Our representative experience includes: claims alleging unauthorized practice of law, improper lending, deposit account and garnishment practices, consumer fraud and claims brought under the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Housing Act and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
We have a proven track record of defending banks, mortgage lenders, automotive financial service providers and we serve as General Counsel to the Michigan Bankers Association.
- Defeated class certification in a class action challenging the escrow obligations of an institution acquired by a bank
- Obtained unanimous reversal by Michigan Supreme Court in a class action asserting that bank’s practice of charging fees for preparation of mortgage documents constituted unauthorized practice of law
- Obtained summary judgment in class action alleging that requiring borrowers pay for private mortgage insurance for the life of a mortgage constituted breach of contract
- Secured a summary judgment and dismissal of a case from a group of union workers demanding pension benefits from a large automotive supplier – not only was the case tied to the purchase of a bankrupt plant, it involved ERISA, the Labor Management Relations Act, corporate contracts and other complex considerations
- Defeated class certification in federal court action under the employee background check rules of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Successfully defended a consumer products company against claims of environmental contamination of soil and groundwater
- Represented a title insurance company in a multimillion dollar class action alleging the company’s rate structure violated the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
- Successfully defended a large retailer against claims of threatened derivative and securities fraud litigation brought by a minority group of shareholders
- Successfully defeated class certification for a case involving an investment advisory firm accused of selling securities in violation of Rule 10b-5
- Successfully defeated class certification in multi-district federal class actions and state class action against an insurance company alleged to misrepresent the sales of interest-sensitive whole life insurance policies known as ”vanishing premium” policies
- Obtained a “nuisance value” settlement against plaintiffs who alleged an insurance company’s rate structure was illegal
- Secured summary disposition that was affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals for the founder and majority shareholder of a company alleging shareholder oppression in connection with a corporate freeze-out merger
- Secured dismissal of securities and derivative litigation without prejudice filed by a former owner and minority shareholder
- Michael Brady Named Executive Partner of Warner’s Detroit and Bloomfield Hills Offices
- Laura You Selected for Leadership Detroit
- Laura You Elected to Inforum Board
- Warner Names Two Attorneys as Partners
- Partners Michael Brady, Charles Ash and Pamela Enslen Presented on COVID-19 Litigation Threats in Higher Education