Warner Norcross + Judd LLP and six of its attorneys have been recognized for excellence in private wealth law while one of its attorneys has been honored for family law in the Chambers High Net Worth 2021 guide.
The guide, which is compiled by Chambers and Partners, is aimed at the international private wealth market and features in-depth editorial related to leading lawyers and law firms for wealthy individuals and families. Law firms and attorneys were referred by clients for their expertise in charitable planning, wealth transfer, business succession planning, estate tax planning, trust disputes and other areas of private wealth management.
Partners Mark K. Harder, Laura A. Jeltema, Susan Gell Meyers and David L.J.M. Skidmore were recognized as distinguished practitioners in private wealth law, while W. Michael Van Haren, of counsel, was recognized among the senior statespeople. Partner Richard A. Roane was selected in family/matrimonial law. Comments on their profiles included:
- Harder chairs the firm’s Private Client and Family Office Group and works with individuals, families and family business owners on complex estate planning, settlement and business transfer issues. One source described Harder as “responsive and very knowledgeable in the private wealth and estate matters.” He is a trusted adviser to wealthy families and business owners, assisting with succession planning matters. Another interviewee stated: “He is extraordinarily technical and still able to explain it to the client. He is very approachable.”
- Jeltema counsels high net worth individuals, families and family offices on trust and estate administration and planning, tax planning and wealth preservation. She also counsels private foundations on governance, compliance and transactional matters. One source stated Jeltema “is an excellent attorney who is very versatile, technical and strong when client-facing.” A client said: “Laura combines the highest levels of professionalism and work ethic that you would find with a Midwestern sensibility and demeanor that allows her to interact extremely well with me, as the client, and the other professionals that we work with.”
- Meyers advises high net worth and family business clients on estate and gift tax planning, business succession planning, asset protection and trust administration. One interviewee called Meyers “absolutely just top notch,” noting “she is super well-organized, very thorough and clients love her.” A client said, “She can explain the nuances of complex estate scenarios in a manner that is educational.”
- Roane counsels clients on divorce, non-marital domestic relationships and LGBT+ family issues and concentrates his practice on domestic relations mediation, arbitration and collaborative law, spousal support, child custody and support, complex business valuation distribution, pre- and post-nuptial agreements and all aspects of international family law. A fellow attorney said, “He is a brilliant lawyer; he is cutting-edge. He is at the top.” One source noted Roane “is concerned with family business entities and how they will come up in a divorce,” while a second source said he “understands how to divide assets.”
- Skidmore focuses his practice on probate, trust and estate litigation, as well as fiduciary and real property disputes. He often acts for wealthy families and individuals in contested probate matters. One source noted: “He is a great guy and a smart attorney. He is a strong advocate; he is aggressive where appropriate and understands the nuances of how difficult it is in dealing with probate matters.” Another interviewee described him as “very knowledgeable and fluent in the law.”
- Van Haren concentrates his practice on all aspects of planning for high net worth individuals, the family offices that serve those individuals and the businesses they own. Van Haren is described as a “solid lawyer” by a peer, who said, “I wouldn't have any trouble in recommending him to anyone.”
The guide is used by family offices and professional financial advisers. In addition to the legal rankings, Chambers High Net Worth also features information on accounting and tax firms, private banks, wealth management firms and multifamily offices acting for high net worth individuals.
London-based Chambers and Partners publishes a series of global guides focused on the legal profession. Warner has been recognized as one of the leading law firms in Michigan by the Chambers USA guide for 19 consecutive years.
By providing discerning and proactive legal advice, Warner Norcross + Judd LLP builds a better partnership with our clients. One of Michigan’s largest law firms, we’re focused on providing the best legal solutions and exceptional client service to organizations throughout the world. Connect with us on wnj.com, LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook.
# # #