Skip to Main Content
Legacy Matters
BlogsPublications | May 15, 2019
4 minute read
Legacy Matters

Give Your Graduate the Gift of Legal Documents

Don't let children leave home without these!

As we head into graduation season, many families will start making plans for their young adult children (my how time flies!) to leave home for college, travel or to begin a new job.
Your lives will be different now in many ways, which will be a source of both joy and frustration. But one difference is particularly important for parents: Once your child turns 18, you no longer have legal access to medical, financial and educational information about your child, and you can no longer make medical or financial decisions for your child, even if he or she becomes injured or incapacitated.
How can you provide the care and support that your child needs when you cannot access their college tuition bills or make medical decisions if they land in the hospital? The steps below will help prepare both you and your children for their foray into the adult world. (See our full checklist for adult children here.)

6 Things To Do When Your Child Turns 18

    Other Considerations for Adult Children

      Watching your children transition into more adult roles is exciting, but often a little worrying as well.
      As you launch your children into their adult lives, we can help you create some peace of mind by providing the will, trust and power of attorney documents you and your children need to be prepared. Contact your Warner attorney, or contact Beth O’Laughlin, at 989.698.3703 or

      These documents are created as part of Warner’s traditional estate planning.

      +We may need to create a more sophisticated estate plan for a child with significant assets.