Warner Norcross + Judd is a leading authority on the permitting and approval of mines in the complex regulatory environment governing development of mining projects throughout the United States, particularly in the Upper Great Lakes region. The breadth of our mining sector experience encompasses iron, nickel, copper, limestone, sand and gravel, potash, salt, zinc, gold and other metallic and non-metallic minerals.
We assist clients, both as lead counsel and in support of international transaction counsel, in all phases of mine development. These phases include acquisition of projects and mineral rights, development of mining regulations, environmental permitting, national and state environmental policy act reviews, cultural resource reviews, tribal engagement, project financing and construction. We also have extensive expertise in successfully defending mining projects in litigation.
Our representative experience includes:
- Lead counsel for a major international mining company in obtaining environmental permits and other approvals for Michigan’s first new underground metallic mineral mine in almost 60 years. In connection with that project, we coordinated a multifaceted approach involving statutory and regulatory development, tribal and community relations outreach, continuing interface with Michigan’s executive and legislative leadership and successfully defending the project in litigation.
- Currently lead or co-counsel for mining companies developing new mining projects in the Upper Great Lakes region.
- Lead counsel for major international mining company in managing remediation of legacy contamination at old mine sites in Michigan, including resolution of natural resource damage claims.
- Lead counsel for companies acquiring public land and minerals rights on federal and state land.
- Successfully negotiating and obtaining mining permits for sand and gravel production, including oversight of environmental investigations, traffic studies and geologic investigations in support of mining permits.
- Acquisition and review of mineral title for mining projects in Michigan.
- Lead counsel on labor and employment issues associated with mine construction and operation.
- Assistance with securing equity for new mines.
Warner Norcross attorneys support mining companies with interests throughout the Upper Great Lakes region and have worked cooperatively with local, state and federal government officials at all levels to obtain the approval of new and expanded projects.