Our construction attorneys build solutions from the ground up.
Warner Norcross + Judd has an experienced team of nationally recognized attorneys who take a multidisciplinary approach to construction and real estate law. We regularly work with contractors, construction managers, architects, engineers, developers, landlords and tenants, brokers, condominium associations, lenders and others involved in commercial, industrial and residential construction. Our services are performed at the local, state and federal levels.
We provide counsel on a wide range of labor, contracting, lending and dispute resolution issues in the construction industry, including:
Contract development, negotiation and administration
Personal and property damage
Professional malpractice defense
All forms of litigation and dispute resolution
One of our strengths is our ability to work with clients all the way through a project. This includes drafting, reviewing and modifying standard and non-standard industry forms for RFPs, design and construction contracts, bid packages, and subcontracts. We have substantial experience in negotiation of construction industry contracts, including AIA, AGC, ConsensusDocs, and EJCDC forms. We also review insurance coverage, including errors and omissions insurance and builder's risk insurance, advise clients regarding liens and review and counsel clients on bonds and other surety relationships.
If disputes arise during the design and construction process, our attorneys have experience in the following:
- Mechanics' liens
- Architect and engineer liability for defective design
- Insurance claims
- Delay and disruption claims
- Construction failures
- Claims for interference
- Cost escalation
- Back charges
- Change orders
- Lost productivity
- Bidding and award disputes
Some of our recent design and construction projects include:
- Represented large West Michigan contractor in New York construction matter which resulted in favorable negotiated resolution.
- Represented large West Michigan contractor in dispute before the American Arbitration Association involving construction project in Minnesota.
- Assisted large, international mechanical contractor in negotiating consolidated resolution of multijurisdictional construction disputes.
- Prepared and negotiated design, construction, purchase agreements, and lease documents for new $250 million hospital and $100 million cancer pavilion.
- Lead trial counsel for major construction design/engineering firm in multimillion-dollar claim by a hospital. Hospital settled for nominal amount after just two days of trial.
- Have successfully represented major international design, engineering and construction firm for more than 13 years in various trial, arbitration and mediation proceedings.
- Successfully defended developer of a major condominium project on Lake Michigan against multimillion-dollar construction defect claims brought by the condominium owners.
- Prosecuted and defended numerous construction lien foreclosure cases.
- Obtained $1.7 million trial verdict for subcontractor in complex construction matter involving construction performance issues and defective products.
- Trial counsel for international design, engineering and construction management firm in a multiparty, multimillion-dollar case involving claims of design error and delay on state project. Case was resolved by settlement favorable to our client.
- Counsel for design professionals, owners and contractors in several cases involving public school construction projects.
- Represented developer of seven-tier parking structure with respect to acquisition, construction, financing and zoning issues associated with project.
- Represented owner in negotiation of design and construction contract for new headquarters and with governmental authorities for development of infrastructure.
- Represented developer in negotiation of design and construction contracts for mixed-use commercial, retail and residential project.
- Represented developer in quasi-federal government commercial development project of a former military base.
- Represented architect in contract negotiations for Egyptian project.
- Represented subcontractor in negotiating multi-state billion dollar contract with international contractor.
- Represented numerous owners in design and construction contracts for physician-owned medical office buildings.