Warner Norcross & Judd LLP and five of its partners have again been recognized for excellence in private wealth law in Chambers High Net Worth
Chambers and Partners compiled the rankings, which are aimed at the international private wealth market. Law firms and attorneys were referred by clients for their expertise in family office, charitable planning, wealth transfer, business succession planning, estate tax planning, trust disputes and other areas of private wealth management.
Warner Norcross again received a Band 1 rating as a law firm. Partners Carl W. Dufendach, Mark K. Harder, Susan Gell Meyers, David L.J.M. Skidmore and W. Michael Van Haren were also recognized as notable practitioners.
“For the second year in a row, Warner Norcross has been internationally recognized for our expertise in estate planning, wealth management law services and the quality of counsel we provide our clients,” said Douglas A. Dozeman, managing partner of Warner Norcross. “Our talented team is comprised of individuals who are not only experienced in their practice area, but provide top-notch service to our clients. As the largest Trusts and Estate Practice Group in the state, we are committed to serving the needs of our clients in Michigan – and wherever life takes them.”
The guide distinguished notable practitioners, which included:
- Carl Dufendach, who maintains a broad practice advising clients on trust and estate planning and administration, including charitable giving, guardianships and generational transfer issues. The guide shared: “He’s very good at drafting and works a lot on the charitable giving side. He’s a very stabilizing influence, especially when families are trying to work their way through emotional issues.”
- Mark Harder, who chairs the firm’s Private Client and Family Office Group and works with individuals, families and family business owners on sophisticated estate planning, settlement and business transfer issues. The guide noted “He really is good at taking all aspects that families run across – family foundations, tax strategy and specialty areas like aviation and private banking – and he’s able to pull together all of those disciplines and use that to help the family.”
- Susie Meyers, who advises high net worth and family business clients on estate and gift tax planning, business succession planning, asset protection and trust administration. The guide pointed out: “She’s fantastic. She’s extremely well organized, she’s a meticulous lawyer and she’s very careful in her drafting and follow up. She has a business background, and she does a very good job in estate planning with underlying businesses.”
- David Skidmore, who focuses his practice on probate litigation and other contentious trusts and estates matters. He represents clients in a wide range of complex trust and estate pursuits, as well as representing beneficiaries and fiduciaries. The guide noted that Skidmore is a good attorney respected throughout the state for being a good litigator. The guide shared: “He’s a great advocate for his clients, and he’s very active in the Michigan legal community. He does a lot of work to help other practitioners understand the types of issues that they need to be aware of when it comes to potential litigation.”
- Mike Van Haren, who concentrates his practice on all aspects of planning for high net worth individuals, the family offices that serve those individuals and the businesses they own. Noting that Van Haren is a “fine lawyer and a good person,” with the guide explaining that “He’s very good at complex drafting. Trying to make a family’s complicated dreams a reality is a lot harder than it seems, and that’s his strength.”
The guide will be used by family offices and professional financial advisers. In addition to the legal rankings, Chambers High Net Worth
also features information on accounting and tax firms, private banks, wealth management firms and multi-family offices acting for high net worth individuals.
London-based Chambers and Partners publishes a series of global guides focused on the legal profession. Warner Norcross has been recognized as one of the leading law firms in Michigan by Chambers USA
for 16 consecutive years.
About Warner Norcross
By providing discerning and proactive legal advice, Warner Norcross & Judd LLP builds a better partnership with its clients. Warner Norcross is a corporate law firm with 216 attorneys practicing in eight offices throughout Michigan: Grand Rapids, Southfield, Midland, Macomb County, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Holland and Lansing. Follow us on Twitter @WNJLLP or connect on LinkedIn.
# # #